February 1, 2012

Black History Month Blog Challenge: Day 1...

The first GREAT African American is...

Don Cornelius

I thought he would be very fitting for the first day of Black History Month, seeing how he passed away today. This was extremely sad, and incredibly shocking to me, especially me and my mama (I can use bad grammar all I want) we were just talking about him and his show yesterday. For those of you that don't know Don Cornelius was the creator, producer, host and most importantly OWNER of the hit musical variety & popular dance show Soul Train! The show first aired in 1971. My mama always talks about how her and her brothers and sisters would watch Soul Train for the latest fashion and dance moves, then imitate it and the next party or dance. She also told me that my uncle had a MASSIVE fro' back in the day! Haha! In the 70s African Americans never really owned any television programs, however Don did. Many shows tried to compete with his (ex. American Bandstand) but couldn't.  He had many legendary performers from The Jackson Five, Aretha Franklin, Marvin Gaye, to Diana Ross. He had white performers as well, such as David Bowie and Elton John(Benny & The Jets is one of my FAVE songs!) I mean, c'mon Soul Train is iconic, even it that wasn't your era. He was a pioneer for African Americans to own televisions shows and for people like Oprah to have their own cable television network. So many famous people have come out of Soul Train, just being dancers. Rosie Perez, the group Shalamar, Rerun, and choreographer to the stars Laurie Ann Gibson. However not famous, the small Asian woman with hair down to her butt, was very iconic. I still remember watching her on old rerun episodes. Because of Don Cornelius African American weddings, birthday parties, and family reunions are now SO much more fun when your dancing down a Soul Train line doing the bump with your favorite cousin that you only get to see once a year. Another great African American pioneer paving the way. Rest in Peace Mr. Don Cornelius! 


Yay! Got it posted before the 1st is over! And I've already started drafting the post for tomorrow *pats self on back*

I usually sign out of my posts "Peace & Love" but seeing the topic, I thought THIS would be more fitting:

Love, Peace...and Souuuuuuuuul!!
-Tiffani

No comments:

Post a Comment